Friday, August 20, 2010

Background Music

Over the years, background music has increasingly become as important as the movie or play itself. (For me, that is).
Ever since, A.R Rahman was the only artist who had the power to move me with his background scores. Some people I'm sure have no clue as to what I'm talking about. Just watch (and more importantly listen to) the movie Swades once more, and you'll find out.
Now, though, there are many more artists focussing on background music. Its truly satisfying.
Amit Trivedi is one of them. And he's got this unique style in his background score. He actually uses poetry or 4 to 8 line songs, which perfectly suit the situation. Amitabh Bhattacharyya gives his music some captivating lyrics, and together they make the background music stand out as an intergral part of the cinematic experience.
I'll leave you with two classic examples, both from Wake Up Sid.

*****************************************************
Ruthi hui hai tu,
Ek pal mein maanegi,
Dil se hamesha hai bacchi
Aye zindagi tu bhi,
Mere hi jaisi hai
Dikhti sayani, hai kacchi.
Bura mood leke
Baithi Kyun hai tu
Ungli meri, chal thaam le
Jahaan mai chaloon, wahin tu chale,
Jahaan tu chale, wahin mai chaloon....

****************************************************
Boondon ke motiyon mein ghul ke ehsaas aaya,
Waqt se nikalke lamha dil ke paas aaya.
Chhoo ke guzra tha par dil ko na mehsoos hua,
Ab jo dekha toh woh lamha dil ko raas aaya.

Kyun, yeh tay..kar na paaoon re,
Dil ki baat mai hawa ke zariye pahuchaaon re
Ya khud hawa pe chalke jaoon re
Tumse pyaar hai yeh khul ke,
Kyun kah na paaoon re
Shabd woh kahaan se laaoon re!

*****************************************************
I wish God had made us so that our life and its events had a background music playing in our ears!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Sudhanshu, Thanks you very much i was looking for these background music songs..

sudhanshu said...

glad it could be of help!
do I know you? or did you just come across my blog..

Romila said...

The last two lines are SO true!

aniruddh said...

Hi Sudhanshu.
I have been desperately looking for the background score of Wake Up Sid for quite sometime. Recently when I was searching for it, I came across your blog. You are very apt in your observation. A sound OST adds immensely to the cinematic beauty of the movie. I have the OST of Swades and Rang De Basanti. Finally, I also got the OST of Wake Up Sid.