Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Inflection Point

There is no better way to describe this part of my life, and the lives of the people that surround me. There are some who have finished their studies and are beginning to take up their first hard-core jobs. There are others who are leaving their jobs and going back to studies to some of the best campuses in the world. The points of inflection are by no means restricted to career alone. They span personal life, marriages, engagements, family commitments, bonds, promises and geographies.

Change is never easy. But change is also inevitable. We are in that stage of our lives in which only uncertainty is certain. But the uncertainty is accompanied by hope and excitement which is the essence of life.

Having recognized this fact, there is possibly no better way I could have encountered this change. Because this inflection point, as opposed to the previous one in my life in 2004 when I first went to IIT Kharagpur, somehow seems much less lonely. In some way or the other, I’ll be accompanied by some of my closest friends from all stages of life. And I’ve waited long to write this, but leaving alone again would not have made me even a fraction as happy as I am now and not just for selfish reasons.

I leave Bombay, I leave India and I bring an end to what I consider to be the best two years of my life. All with the hope of seeing more of the world. It is important to recognize the right time to leave a place. Leave before you start disliking it, leave before you start forgetting the happy memories and leave while you’re still loved.

But…everything can’t be so perfect, right? Life always gives you some lessons. Having gained so much, and being so comfortable with what’s going to follow comes at a price. I’ve probably lost the most amazing thing I once had and it’s pretty much irreplaceable. Then again, what makes it alright is that there is really nothing I could have done to prevent it. I lost it to the ego of a place in the other side of the country. Just makes me realize that unconditional friendship is probably the rarest thing on earth and perhaps also the most short-lived.

This comes with the best of wishes. God bless all on this point of inflection.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

By far the best one you've written! Subtle yet very intense! indirect yet conveying the message (u know what part i am hinting at ;-) )!

Write on..

Deepika said...

Inflection Point-what an awesome way to describe this post. Loved so many things about this one-"...only uncertainty is certain." "Unconditional friendship is perhaps the rarest thing on earth and also the most short-lived." Well, it's experience and time that separates the grain from the chaff, doesn't it?

Cannot wait for you to get here! Come fast. :-)

sudhanshu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sudhanshu said...

@Deepika - yeah Inflection point thanks to a certain Mr Arun Roy for fitting it into my brain forever lol.

Yeah and we're gonna have a lot of fun August onwards :)

Juhi said...

nice post sudhanshu..inflection point is a great way to express the change. I guess along with the apprehension there's exhilaration too though :)