Saturday, November 14, 2009

Iktara in a New York subway

Last month in Bombay I saw Wake up Sid thrice in 15 days. I still can’t get over it.

I’m in New York now. There is something special about this city. In some very weird way it’s almost like a home away from home. I can relate to its fast pace. I can relate to its diversity. I can relate to its culture.

Anyway...
I was coming home after taking an exam on 32nd street. Yes exams have followed me here too.

If I were in Bombay, I would be celebrating the end of an exam, even though I may not have put in any effort what so ever to prepare for it. Well, this time I had no one to celebrate it with. I could feel my mood swaying towards depression. As this realization struck me, I reached the subway station. Got in. Bought a ticket. Switched on my i-pod thinking, “let’s sink into melancholy with some music”

In shuffle mode, the first song that played started with the most soothing tone the guitar has known, followed by the warmest voice the mic has faced. A voice which combines the comfort of your mother’s lap, the chirp of your best friend, the beauty of Konkona Sen’s character in the movie and the heartiest love you have ever received. I had heard Iktara a hundred times before this, but in a New York subway, the song felt different.

Needless to say, I went from melancholy to joy in 4 minutes and 14 seconds. Soon I saw myself get off the subway, head all the way back to JC Penny. What happened there was self indulgent shopping: Three pairs of shoes, three shirts, two formal trousers, and a pair of jeans. And for the first time in my life I enjoyed shopping for myself.

I slept well that night with Iktara echoing in my ears and Konakana Sen’s innocence in my mind.

9 comments:

Your Anonymous Reader said...

What is it about that great song that turns the day around.

Living alone, I have found it very easy to slip into that "melancholy" you talk about. But listening to that one song can turn it around in a flash.

And its impossible to create a list of qualities that song should have or for that matter a list of songs that would fir the bill......I think its subconsciously keenly attuned to our thoughts/moods/frustrations at that time.

Savi said...

your best till now!....

Sougata said...

nicely written :)

LoudCat said...

That song ain't gud, it made u spend a lot of money ;)

sudhanshu said...

@ ananymous reader
im glad you could identify with it

@ savi, sougata- thanks

@ hiral - yeahh rright! lol

Unknown said...

nice one ! :)

Aditya said...

Hmmm nice....
And I would not be surprised, if the next time you hear the song back in India, you are reminded of that train ride after the exam and the shopping spree at JCP!

Unknown said...

bloody ibanker!!! 3 pairs of shoes at one go!!

Hemant Jhunjhunwala said...

Ahh thanks to this song .. it saved a lot of my time, money and emotions .. that would have otherwise been wasted on countless women :D!!