Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Play Review: Waiting for Godot (I can’t rate this)

Waiting for the interval is what we were doing while watching this play. And what did we do in the interval, well, we left!
Written by Nobel laureate Samuel Beckett, this play, is voted by some as “the most significant English language play of the 20th century”. Wikipedia says so. This has left me quite perplexed. I asked myself a million times, is something wrong – why have I found the “
most significant” play of the last century to be “rather insignificant”. But when eight other friends who were watching echoed my thoughts, I let out a sigh of relief.
Some plays are better off left behind in the century to which they belong (“pal do pal ka shayar” and all). With all due respect to the writer and actors, Waiting for Godot, in my opinion is one such play. There may have been some relevance in the 1950’s for this kind of thing. Today, in fast moving times, though people love their entertainment they do not have the time to wait for some random person named Godot.
Like I said we could only let ourselves watch the first half. There were these two tramps, talking things which didn’t make much sense. Fine, we laughed a few times when they did or said some silly things. They were waiting for some Godot. No further information was ever given. After sometime Naseer-ud-din Shah entered. We chuckled a few times because he did a few silly things too.
There was something commendable though. These actors had amazing diction, pronunciation, a general command over the English language and all of that. It was amazing how they could go on talking without ever having a subject or theme. And perhaps that is what the audience was supposed appreciate. Maybe some people can do that…in these times may be one in a hundred.
Before the play begun, some guy had come and announced that Waiting for Godot is a play in which “nothing happens…twice”. I had not imagined in my wildest dreams that he meant it LITERALLY. Because, really nothing happened! (dint wait to see the "twice" part of it)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice review.......